Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Crean - The Unsung Hero

This week, I'm particularly looking forward to seeing 'Tom Crean - Antartic Explorer' at the Belltable's temporary home on Cecil Street. The one man show, performed by Aidan Dooley, has received plaudits worldwide for its take on the great Kerryman's Antartic adventures.

Swanky papers had this to say:

“a remarkable and uplifting piece of theatre, gives everything and asks nothing.”
Emer O’Kelly, Sunday Independent Dublin
“This magnificent revelation of a fascinating character simply compels a standing ovation”
Sunday Tribune
“You will go to then end of the earth to find theatre this rewarding”
Murray Bramwell, The Australian


I've had a little fascination with Crean since seeing a documentary on TG4 some years ago I think, which a few years after that (around 2004 I think) led me to pick up Michael Smith's excellent book 'An Unsung Hero'. During the production of a documentary this year, I even managed to grab a pint in the South Pole Inn. For various reasons, I've always missed performances of this play, but I'm definitely going this Friday. Has anyone else seen it? Reports please.

Tickets are available at €20 (€18 Concession) from The Belltable, and the play runs until Saturday night.

3 comments:

Dave G said...

I have a friend going tonight, i'll let you know the reaction tomorrow. He's from Kerry so he's full of county pride.

DetritusTV said...

Yeah, I've seen it. It's good, but not as good as scoops with John McClane in Annascaul.

Dave G said...

well he thought the play was "Fantastic", it was full of jokes about Cork and lots of Kerry pride