Friday, October 3, 2008

First Friday - Recommendations

Ok, so the first Friday of ever month, I will throw out a few recent recommendations of things pricking my ears up of late. Some of them will be new, and others will be just bits that I've discovered. It will be generally one of the few non-Limerick related posts per months.

Adebisi Shank's
new album 'This Is The Album Of A Band Called Adebisi Shank" may be brief, but is an absolute stonker. They play Bakers on October 12th, supporting LITE.

The An Taobh Tuathail compilation Volume 2 has been getting quite a few spins of late. Acts I already know and love like Mice Parade and Somadrone feature, but the likes of Susanna & The Magical Orchestra are new to me. Perfect record for the late night listen, like the radio show of the same name.

Brian Eno & David Byrne may be back with a new album, but at the start of September, I finally picked up My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts. Released in 1981, this has got everything on it; truly amazing album, and you can see that 27 years later, there are still bands copying them. Vampire Weekend, where did your interest in world music stem from, eh?!
There is a lot of info on this site about the record, including some clips. I feel like an idiot that it took me so long to get this.

Finally, TV On The Radio have just unleashed their latest album - 'Dear Science'... I've only got through one sitting of this so far - it seems a wee bit bananas, a little less polished than 'Return To Cookie Mountain', and yes, do believe the hyperbole about this one - it sounds deadly so far.

Here's a video for 'Dancing Choose'


And here is the same song, in a frankly weird appearance on Letterman. Good ol' Dave has to look at the record sleeve again to make sure he got the album title right.

No comments: